Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) PROJECT DETAILS
- Project Title
- Objectives /Goals
To improve the management, storage and reporting of laboratory data. To improve laboratory processes and timely availability of reports. To improve the availability of HIV and AIDS related indicators (EID and Viral Load)
- Project Scope
Currently Central hospital laboratories, 1 District (Thyolo). The LIMS is to be expanded to clinical wards as well as connected to ART facilities for viral load ordering and results reporting pending approval by DHA.
- Impact Area /Sites
National LIMS deployed at all central hospitals and Thyolo District Hospital.
- Projected Outcomes
Improve diagnostic capacity and management of laboratory data, with specific focus on HIV and AIDS indicators.
- Current State
- Pilot phase finalised, pending evaluation and then scale up.
- KCH reference implementation complete as well as all the 4 Central Hospitals and 1 District Hospital.
- Hardware and software stable.
- System accepted as National LIMS by MoH and partners.
- Reporting functionality done; incoming change requests being developed on as needed.
- All functional laboratory instruments within the sites are integrated with system; newly delivered machines are pending.
- Reporting functionality being optimised (speed, data verification etc).
- Project Duration
2014 – 2018 (to be extended beyond)
- Partners Involved
CDC, CHAI, URC, KCH, LIN, Riders for Health, PIH, System One. University of Pittsburgh
- Officers Involved
Phidelis Suwedi (Product manager)
Takondwa Mengezi (Senior Product owner)
Kenneth Kapundi (Lead Applications Developer)
Gift Malolo (Software Developer Officer)
- Chimwemwe Kachaje (Software Developer)
- Jeremy Espino (Technical Assistant, University of Pittsburgh)
- Funding and Donors Involved CDC